Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2012

Striking Distance

by Steven P. Velasquez
June 29, 2012

The sound of bells, buzzers, perhaps a lover's or child's voice; maybe even a rooster's crow in some places, are all sounds by which to wake; some more desirable than others.   Well my partner, aside from occasionally crowing about whatever his transient topic of the moment is, serves none of those purposes.



There, tucked away in a county park, awaiting our possible activation into another's personal nightmare we sat.  It's been a great couple of days with balmy temps in the 80's and finally, for the first time in weeks, no rain!  Well, except for that wicked thunder and lightning storm that blew though here about an hour ago.I startled so badly, I almost pee'd!  It sounded like that thunder clap was just over my right ear, and boy did the night sky turn to day for a moment.  I straightened up in my seat and looked around, as one never knows exactly who is lerking in the darkness.  One look over my shoulder and I now realized what all the noise was. The tree directly to my right had sustained a direct hit from a lightning strike.  My partner and I were in "striking distance" so to speak.





We both got out a while after the rain stopped and surveyed the damage.  A length of tree-bark was sheared from the tree.  We found the culprit of the delayed cracking noise after the lightning struck, it was the sound of the tree shedding its skin.  Good thing for us we were A: grounded and B: not under a falling limb. 

Good God, the dangers we face to feed our families



 

No comments:

Post a Comment